Start with a clear Goal!
Why are you Fasting? Remember we Fast not out of law but to get RESULTS! Notice carefully what Jesus says in Matthew 6:16,
When you fast, (not if) do not look sombre as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their REWARD in full!
What reward are you seeking from God?
Do you desire more intimacy with the Father, do you need direction in your life, healing in your body, restoration in your family or salvation for someone?
Read the Word before you Pray:
The Word will Anoint your Spirit, and you will Pray Anointed Prayers. (1 John 5 14:15)
Remember, Prayer is a vital part of the Fast. It is Prayer that makes the Fast Spiritual. If you don’t incorporate Prayer, it is not fasting but dieting.
“Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes”
Prayer always goes along with Fasting.
▪ Make A Decision that you are going to Fast and you are going to be FAITHFUL! If you leave any possibility open, the enemy will use this against you. MAKE A FAITH DECISION and ACT upon it! (Daniel 1:8. 9:3)
▪ Confess your sin to each other. Forgive all who have offended you and ask forgiveness from those you may have offended. (Matthew 5:15, Mark 11:25)
▪ Surrender your life: fully to Jesus Christ and yield your Spirit man to the Holy Spirit. Reject the desires that will try to hinder you. (Romans 6:16, Romans 12:1-2).
Hear From God What Type Of Fast:
We are all called to Fast. (Matthew 6:16), However, we are not all called to the same degree of Fasting.
The Three Different Types of Fast:
1. Dry Fast – where you abstain from both food/ water over a certain period of time
2. Ordinary Fast – abstain from all solid and only drink water over a period.
3. Partial Fast – what most believers call “The Daniel Fast”. Where you abstain from certain foods (especially luxuries) and give your self to, vegetable, Fruit and water only, over a period of 21 days.
The Daniel Fast is the one type of Fast we practice at our Church annually.
We also Fast, the Ordinary Fast every, Tuesday and Thursday throughout the year (08:00 – 16:00).
This Fast was impressed upon my heart by the Spirit, may years ago, when He reveled to me that our annual Fast was becoming a religious duty.
So I stopped it and introduced the Ordinary Fast.
I later discovered that the early Church fasted on those two days as well.
What to Expect Physically and Spiritually:
When you Fast your body detoxifies eliminating toxins from your system, especially during the first three days.
1. Body toxins create a dirty body, like dirt creates a dirty house. If you don’t clean your house regularly, all sorts of fungi, parasites, bacteria, etc moves in and infests… The same is true with the human body. Body toxins create an acid environment and disease thrive in this. The Fast will help remove some of these toxins and promotes Healing and Health.
2. During the Fast shower regularly and brush your mouth more than usual. Suck on breath mints and avoid chewing gum. Gum creates chemicals in your body, that’s needed only for the digestive process. When you Fast this process is slowed down.
3. Eventually you will look and feel great! As you withdraw from caffeine and sugar, you may experience headaches and irritability. (When you keep and complete your Fast, continue with this developed habit of using less sugar or no sugar (White sugar is particularly bad for your health).
5. You will naturally have hunger pains. Remember, at times, the stomach eats out of habit, not hunger. In other words, you may experience hunger pains, but you may not be hungry. Fool your stomach by drinking water.
6. Limit your activity and exercise moderately. Take time
7. Fasting brings about miraculous results. You are following Jesus’ example when you Fast. Spend time listening to Word-based, Praise and Worship songs.
Read The Bible, and Pray as often as you can throughout the day, in both your earthly and heavenly tongue. Get away from the normal distractions as much as possible and keep your heart and mindset on seeking God’s Face.
8. Expect Angelic assistance (Matthew 4:11) and remember we FAST TO GET RESULTS! (Matthew 6:18, Isaiah 58, Hebrews 11:6)
9. Your Spirit becomes sensitive. During the fast, your five physical senses become extremely sensitive, to things like smell, taste, etc.… This is exactly what happens to your Spirit. This is the time you can easily hear God’s Voice. What upon the Lord, He will Speak. (Acts 13:2)
10. Fasting slows your ageing process. Moses fasted often, and the Bible confirm that he lived until 120 years. (Deut, 34:7).
How to End:
· Don’t overeat when the time comes to an end your fast.
Begin eating solid food gradually; eat small portions or snacks.
Prayer is reaching out after the unseen; fasting is letting go of all that is seen and temporal. Fasting helps express, deepen, confirm the resolution that we are ready to sacrifice anything, even ourselves to attain what we seek for the kingdom of God. – Andrew Murray
I have food to eat that you know nothing about.- Jesus (Jn. 4:32 NIV)
Ps. Shandrey Thumbran
Consult your doctor if you need professional advice, this article serves only as a guild line.
Revised 2008, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2021